January is over and with that it is time for my first wrap up of 2020. At the end of 2019, I had some low reading months because of the amount of things that were going on. I’m so excited that I was able to have such a good reading month. Overall, I read 28 books and DNF’d one near the beginning of the month. During January, I read 10,139 pages and that averages out to about 368 pages per book or 322 pages read each day. While I didn’t read for a couple of days in the month, I did have some days where I definitely read the amount of what two days averaged would be.
The 28 books I read in January were:
- Winterwood by Shea Ernshaw
- No Judgments by Meg Cabot
- Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey
- Lucky Caller by Emma Mills
- Every Other Weekend by Abigail Johnson
- Yes No Maybe So by Becky Albertalli and Aisha Saeed
- The Queen’s Resistance by Rebecca Ross
- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
- Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
- Ghosts of the Shadow Market by Cassandra Clare
- Faker by Sarah Smith
- The Rogue of Fifth Avenue by Joanne Shupe
- Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
- Tweet Cute by Emma Lord
- Somewhere Only We Know by Maurene Goo
- The Upside of Falling by Alex Light
- American Panda by Gloria Chao
- Woven in Moonlight by Isabel Ibanez
- Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
- The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller
- Hate Notes by Vi Keeland and Penelope Ward
- Vicious by VE Schwab
- You Say It First by Katie Cotugno
- The Worst Best Man by Mia Sosa
- Not the Girl You Marry by Andie J Christopher
- Chirp by Kate Messner
- Echoes Between Us by Katie McGarry
My one DNF of January was The Perfect Date by Evelyn Lozada and Holly Lorincz.
During the month, I track my books in a bullet journal as well as a spreadsheet. With my spreadsheet, I track several things and I will be sharing some of those statistics in my monthly wrap ups.
The first thing I track is if the book I’m reading is a series or a standalone and if its a reread or not. Next month, I plan to add if the author is a debut author, new to me, or familiar to me as well. I was finding that was something I really wanted to track and I think it will be interesting to see who I read from the most.
During January, I read 16 standalone novels and 9 books from series and reread 1 standalone and 2 books from a series.
Next I track the source of the book or where I obtained the book from. This month I mostly read advanced copies which I’m glad to see because I have a large amount of ARCs that I want to get through. I read 12 from Edelweiss, 5 physical books from my library, 10 books I physically own, and I listened to 1 book through Scribd.
I’m not at all surprised that the majority of the books I read this month had a young adult intended audience. This month I read 1 middle grade, 20 young adult, and 7 adult books. I’m not sure if I want to strive to read a little more in the adult age range or not so that will be something I evaluate as the year goes on.
I was definitely in the mood for contemporary this month! Contemporary books made up 21 of the 28 books I read this month. I also read 6 fantasy books and 1 historical romance. Contemporary is definitely my favorite genre so that doesn’t upset me that the majority of what I read was in that genre and I know it will fluctuate as the year goes on.
The final statistic I track is my ratings for the books I read during the month. While the other graphs do not include the book I DNF’d, this graph does. Including the book I DNF’d, my average rating for January was about 3.75. I can definitely tell a 4 star rating is my go to as that was given 9 times this month.
For next month, I hope to read about the same amount of advanced copies as I did in January to keep my amount of ARCs at a somewhat reasonable amount. I also hope to read a few more adult books during the month to start making it so my amount of young adult and adult starts becoming a little more equal in amount read each month.
How was your reading in January? Do you have any goals for next month?